Monday, July 30, 2018

Week 83: Blanca's baptism

Blanca's baptism was on Saturday!
So this last Saturday Blanca got Baptized!!! I haven’t really said much about her progress, but I have been working with her since I got here in the Santa Fe, and it finally happened. A lot of her initial conversations were a Spongebob type response of "I don’t really feel like it", and then 3 weeks ago she started saying things like "before you go Elder I need to be baptized" and it happened. It was a great experience for her and her family, they all came for the confirmation, she was really happy. 

The rest of the week was really normal. We were doing a lot of baptism prep like asking people if they could give messages or prayers. Elder Contreras and I have been working really hard with this family that our options for next month weren’t very many. But the Lord works in mysterious ways as on Friday in an interchange with Elder Alvarez  who is a missionary assigned to the area of Quezada, we found some young adults who look pretty interested. So that’s cool.

On Sunday a sister brought her grandchildren who have never been baptized. When I introduced myself the younger of the two said "Hermano Elder quiero saber cuando yo puedo ser bautizado tambien" I was awestruck and once you put it into google translate I think most of you will be too! (Brother Elder I want to know when I can be baptized too) I had to thank the Lord for probably the millionth time for His divine help. 

The Lord always helps when I have done my part and there is nothing else that I can do. I know a lot of times we want things NOW, but we forget that "faith without works is dead". Our Heavenly Father waits until we have shown how much we want something. I love this example and think that those who have children probably see this in action everyday. Your child arrives and wants something, you as a parent probably begin thinking why they would need it and then comes the part where you ask "how much do they want it?" There isn’t a single person in this world who won't put in a sacrifice for something that is worth it or is what they really want. So with your child, as our Father in Heaven does with us, He thinks on this same question, "how much do you want it?" With the child the response is always, "A lot!". We do the same thing with our Heavenly Father, daily even. But He wants to know how much we want it and He has asked that we show him. When we need a new car, or the rent is up and life’s pressures are high we normally ask. God wants to bless us, and it is after we have put in as much work, and time, “our part” that the miracle happens. The Lord makes all the difference.

I love my Savior and my Father who sent him and I know he loves each of us! 

me with Blanca and her mom, Hermana Zonaída.
Elder Contreras before the baptism talking to the kids. He was probably talking to them on reverence.  We had the primary do most of the assignments to help so that Blanca feels loved.
Blanca was being a typical Honduran for the pictures.  Hondurans act really serious and don't really smile for pictures.  I was teasing her about it and we were laughing.
This is David Andino Gonzalez. (doesn't like pictures)
He has been a really cool friend out here.  He is leaving to serve his mission in Pachuca Mexico pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment