Monday, January 1, 2018

Week 53: The New Year

a new years tradition of Honduras- the Naka Tamale
So this last week went even faster than the last one!
On Christmas day, after talking with my family we quite honestly had nothing to do. Everything is closed for the holidays. 
Our week was full of inter-changes as Elder Banda and I are trying to find a way to help the zone out of a little holiday slump. We had some good experiences with the people we are teaching. It could be better, but they are committing to come to church. 

It´s hard to say it, but our week didn´t go how we wanted it too. I have been feeling more than a little exasperated with all the travel and being out of our area. We found out that two people that we have been teaching and had a baptism date left to a town, they moved and didn´t tell us... SO bummer. We are looking into staying in contact with them and hoping they come back. 

It is the first week of the New Year! I am hoping that this week goes way better. It is Elder Banda´s last week in his mission. We want it to be awesome. Pray for us!

I´ll tell you guys a little about a new year tradition here in Honduras, one of the biggest is Naka Tamales. They are just like tamales... and if you ask me, better the the tamales I have had at Doña Maria´s. They are a tamales, but inside they have meat --usually pig or chicken, potatoes, rice and corn inside, but the best part is the ketchup on top! 

The 31st went by really nice. We had a lot of members who gave us food. We got a ton of it! I felt enormous going home with our hands full of Naka tamales and fried chicken. You can´t even imagine how many I ate. Back at home Elder Banda and I sat around waiting for the new year. We listened to some music, we messed around and called other missionaries. The new years fire works here in Juticalpa weren´t anything too spectacular but the firecrackers here did the job announcing the new year. Banda started joking saying, ´I´m in the new year, I´m going home!´ I started telling him to stop being trunky or baggy. We laughed and we headed back down to the room from outside. He is going home next week.  The guy is awesome. I will miss him.

I hope you all had a happy New Year and I hope this next year can be better than the last, as magnificent as it was as a missionary of the Lord! 
I´m so grateful to be where I am, and I hope I can do so much more to be more like Christ.
I love you guys and 

Keep Truckin´ 


Elder Banda and I eating with our convert Javier for the New Year. 
Javier's dogs Peppa (the closest), and the blue eyed one is Pantera.
On Friday we had district meeting. After we had lunch at a texaco
I saw this rainbow while on interchanges in Guaimaca. 
It was so big that I couldn't get it all in one photo. Imagine that!!
The end of the rainbow is over there!
This is a torrejas. They are made of bread and stuff and are super good actually.


No comments:

Post a Comment