Monday, December 4, 2017

Week 49: Political Turmoil

Hey- so we were given permission to write, and buy food and stuff for the next couple of days. But from what I have gathered, you guys think I’m in Juticalpa. I’m not. We had a meeting with a Seventy (Elder Cordón) on the 30th. Elder Banda and I have been in Tegucigalpa since then. On the 1st of December we had a leadership meeting, so Elder Banda and I waited in Tegucigalpa with Elder Valdetano and his companion, Elder Divett. And then just a day later everything got to the way it is now. Political turmoil! We missionaries have been told to stay in our apartments until things settle down. It has been five days and I only have with me the necessities for one day.  It’s been super stressful.   

I don’t have my English scriptures with me. It is in them that I like to study from, so it’s been hard to find anything that stands out. For the last 4 days we missionaries have been on lockdown. Elder Banda and I are staying in the zone leaders house in Torocagua. We have been making the most of Presidents orders to keep us safe. It has been fun staying here with four other elders along with my comp. There are also some elders from the Torocagua area here. Their house is almost right on the main street in Tegucigalpa where all the riots and protests are happening so we brought them here, it is in a safer area called San Rafael. We have been keeping our spirits up by sharing spiritual thoughts and jokes. (...a lot of tu jefa, which is kind of a bad phrase in Spanish, but in English it’s just your good old ‘Yo Momma’ jokes.) 

Elder Banda and I have been stressed for our area and the others in the zone.  I don’t think we will finish the month meeting our goals.  With faith we will have some success. 

One of the things we got to do yesterday was have a small meeting in the place of Sacrament meeting. We didn’t have the sacrament, but we all gave little talks and thoughts for about an hour. I decided to talk about peace. I had originally planned on sharing Alma 31 where Alma gives his mission pep talk, but then my thoughts changed and I wanted to share Luke 2:14, Philippians 4:6-8, and Alma 40:12. It was just a cool spiritual experience I had thinking about the peace that Jesus Christ offers all of us. ‘Tis the season right? I exhort you all to think a little about the peace you guys have because of him. I know that He can change who ever let’s him in their life. I know all of our problems whether spiritual, physical or political can be helped and solved through Jesus Christ. I hope this year we can think of Him more. Think of Him instead of ourselves and what’s going on around us. It has helped me a lot just in these last couple days. I have felt the peace. A lot of what has been going around is rumors and some of them break my heart. But in the end I know the Lord will bring me the peace I need. All of us, as missionaries need to go and give it all we have. 

I love you guys! I hope all is well back wherever you are! 

KEEP TRUCKIN’


Keeping our spirits up on lock down. We are really in the dark about what is going on. President gave us permission until 3 O'clock today to go out and get necessities. We can go to a pupleria. We aren't allowed to go near large commercial spots. After that we will go back home and study, pray, and exercise.
Me with Elder Gomez. I have no idea how long we will be here. It looks like we could be here a few more days. 
Elder Divett. There are six missionaries in this house in San Rafael. Elder Valdetano, Elder Divett, Elder Banda, Elder Gomez, Elder Clavijo and me. 
Banda and Valdetano.We had to travel to Tegucigalpa for our multi zone meeting with Elder Cordón. Banda and I left at 2 in the morning because of expected traffic delays getting in to Tegucigalpa.
Elder Divett and Gomez playing Chess.  Elder Gomez and I are looking to go at it when we get back. We have been the best so far.
Me with Elder Clavijo.  I am wearing Elder Valdetano's shirt. I only have the pair of garments I am wearing, the church clothes I brought, and some basketball shorts.  
Elder Banda chillin'. Today will be 5 days that we have been here. The rest of our zone is safe in Olancho with the exception of Hermana Latimer and Gamez. They are with the sister training leaders in the country and are safe. We talk to them each night to make sure everything is okay. 
He is not always sleeping, but this guy can sleep anywhere. His sleep today is justified. He had 2 hours of sleep because we had to leave so early in the morning to get to our meeting in Tegucigalpa. (Elder Divett looking on)
Lockdown with a bunch of guys can get crazy. They shaved my legs while I was sleeping and we took a sharpie to Elder Banda. I still have my eyebrows XD





No comments:

Post a Comment