Monday, June 19, 2017

Week 25: Nueva Capital (outskirts of Tegucigalpa)


Elder Espiritu and I!
The view of Tegucigalpa from our area. (crazy hills!) We are about 5 minutes from our house.
So- I have now had my first transfer on my mission. I found out I was being transferred shortly after writing you guys last week, and I was honestly kind of bummed. I'm now in Tegucigalpa but not really because my area, Nueva Capital is up a mountain just outside the city. The view of the city at night makes me cry sometimes, because it looks just like home (only no Stratosphere). 



(same spot) Tegucigalpa at night, reminds me of Vegas.
This week was pretty normal and I had a good time with my new companion, Elder Espiritu or Elder Spirit is his name in English. 

We spent a lot of time prepping for a baptism this past Saturday.  And we spent some time teaching Yepsel, and Marori the rest of the lessons that they needed to be prepared to be baptized. 
Baptism of Yepsel and Marori
The family of Yepsel and Marori
The area I´m in is a ward and it´s really great! While I was in Campamento I didn´t think about what I was missing. We were some of the only priesthood holders in the branch so we had to help out with whatever the Branch President needed us to do. So now I get to sit down with investigator´s and answer questions and focus on them and my Savior more.  
Last week we had an activity about family history and it went really well. Quite a few of the members talked about  it in their classes on Sunday.  We did a skit with some other members about the “waiting” family members on the other side. A lot of people shared their testimony about Family History Work; it was a powerful activity. 
Skit practicing activity. My companion is sweeping the floor as part of our skit.
Elder Espiritu
This little girls name is Mercy
I´m excited to get to work this next week in the area. Last week I was more or less learning the area most of the time. This week will be spent visiting old investigators and converts... a kind of introducing of the “new missionary”.  I also learned this week that I´m the first "gringo" to be here in the Nueva Capital in a long time. This area was shut down for a time because of a problem that a gringo had with some of the people here. It wasn´t opened back up until about 9 months ago with latino´s as the missionaries. So I´m excited and honored that the Lord thinks my testimony is one needed for this area and has prepared the people here for my companion and I. 

It was a cool first two days in this area. We´ve already had 3 people accept dates for baptism. Elder Espiritu didn´t really expect it, and neither did I. We are surprised.  One is the daughter of a recent convert, Waleska (pronounced Valeska), and the other´s are Lesly and Nora. 

We have another 3 investigators that are praying for answer´s to their prayer´s.  I´m praying for them and doing my best to teach them what they need to know. 

I really love this area because there aren´t as many Catholic´s, just Evangelical´s.  It´s a good change. It was hard to be in an area where a lot of people say that they can´t change because they´re Catholic. 

I hope this next week goes well and I am able to work hard with my new companion. I love to see the progress and this area is one that has had 2 or 3 baptisms monthly. I hope and pray to do some good work here with the time that I have. I know there are people waiting to hear our message, and I am hoping to give my all to best help the people here. I have faith I can do good things here in Nueva Capital. I hope the Lord helps me find those ready to hear our testimonies, but more importantly that they are open and ready to listen to the Spirit. 

I pray for each of you back home and hope all is well. I love hearing about people from our Stake and past Stake that are accepting mission calls and deciding to serve the Lord.  I´m happy to hear my sister Sophie is building a relationship with her Savior. I love my Savior and my Father in Heaven and all they do for me and my family. I know they live and they want the best for us even when the day seems dark they are there to help us. Never doubt their love for you because their love is perfect and never falters. Come to them and enjoy the blessing of being a friend of our Savior Jesus Christ, and a son or daughter of God the Father. They love you and I love you! I am glad to be serving the Lord and giving it all I got! 

Keep Truckin´

My boots after the rain and a rough day. It has honestly been raining everyday.
Eva with my comp, she is the 5 year old of one of our investigators.
The Young Women of our ward went to the temple.  Each of them took family names. #familyhistory
My comp taught me to crochet with my hand. It´s a scarf!
Crochet... Macrame...

Saying goodbye to Hector and Yamilet before I left Campamento. Goodbyes are hard.
with Elder Valdetano saying goodbye to Isis. I'm holding Jireth, the baby of Hector and Yamilet.

Christian says: that his entire new area is a hill, way steeper than the Campamento hills. 
They walk up and down them all day ..and that his muscles are used to it now. Campamento was training for this. He lives in the city but like they are still in the pueblo (small town). It is a 30 minute ride by bus to get into the city.

#wardlife : barrio jardines de Carrizal. The chapel is pretty far away from their house. It's a 45 minute walk to the chapel.

New Comp: Elder Juan Espiritu, he's from Veracruz in Mexico.  All his companions thus far have been in the group that he would have arrived with if he would have been able to leave in October.


No comments:

Post a Comment