Monday, February 20, 2017

Week 8: Service Opens Doors

Elder Roberts and Elder Giraldo hard at work

So this week was pretty fun. We had some success and some failure; but, that's expected right? We got a lot of new church investigators but a lot of appointments are falling through with our investigators; so, we are really trying to teach by the spirit and let some of our words, as men, be transmitted in the feelings of the Spirit. 

Teaching together is sometimes especially hard when I explain something how, I feel, the spirit directs me and Elder Giraldo thinks it is just my way of explaining; and so, explains it in a way that is a little more complicated. I speak very simple Spanish; whereas, he can explain things very well in Spanish. It`s super hard to testify when it`s so hard to understand what the people are saying! But when I "get it" I know what it is the spirit is really directing me to say. So, a few investigators are kind of confused; because, there is a really simple way of the doctrine being taught and a very complex way and two different styles has brought confusion. Elder Giraldo is really good! I feel the spirit when he teaches, it's just the doctrine may be hard for the people to understand. He is a convert and the only member in his family. He converted at 16 and is now 21 on his mission. He's old, one of the oldest in the zone, so that's something. 

Dania and Ariel are the couple we are trying to help get married; but, they are having problems and were talking about separating and now are together. It is aggravating because Ariel doesn't want to be married and/or separate so we can`t invite him to be baptized if they aren't married but living together. Still, he's agreed with our lessons and the principles of the gospel we have taught. So there`s that problem and the fact that the people of our scheduled appointments are always working or gone etc. So, it's tough to get in to talk to them. It's frustrating because they readily accepted us and scheduled an appointment to have us back when we contacted them...but nobody home when we come back.


I had my first run in with a guy who wanted to rob me (see pic). He cut my arm with this dull knife while trying to cut my shoulder strap on my bag. My companion started telling him off in Spanish (he does a better job than me.) The guy came back at me and was trying to take my bag so I hit him. He ran off and we haven`t seen him since. We talked to the Mission President and he says if we see him again to avoid him at all costs, and if he antagonizes us  that we may need to be sent to a different area, which would be sad. I hope I never see him again, but also wish that he would find a different line of work, so that in the future missionaries can find him (not me though), and teach him.  All of these people are special, the guy had nothing. He was only trying to make a buck on my bag.  I feel sorry. It happened so fast. I should have dropped some money or something because he was dirt poor and probably just trying to feed his family. 
The scars from the knife that tried to snatch my scripture bag
Every Thursday we go to Cacao which is a 35 minute walk uphill (it feels like everything is uphill some days.) Most of the pictures that I have taken have been in Cacao because it`s so beautiful, and a lot of the members live there. 
It was a cool experience cutting wood with the Branch President.  He told us his conversion story, about how some missionaries came and cut firewood for him, and then taught a lesson. He told us that after he wanted to hear more from these people who do work for free... and a month later was baptized. Service opens doors and is great! 


Beautiful area of Cacao
We did 5 hours of work for a member just cleaning his backward and extending his dirt porch. We were tired but really happy after. 
There is always service to be done - like chopping wood!
You won't find these hanging around Vegas
Love all of you! I've uploaded some pictures so you guys can see the area I am in. 
Looking down the hill into Campamento
You know that story about footsteps in the sand and Jesus walking
next to you throughout your life?
That doesn't happen on this sidewalk. We go single file.
Where's Elder Goad? This might still be fresh enough for Arkansas Elders...

I've got to close, I just want you to know these people are definitely different; but that I`m happy to be here! I know this work is true and when my first baptism comes, or just when I see that light come into that person's eyes that they understand, I'll be all the more happy because I'm doing my job. I know Jesus is the Christ, and that I'm his representative. I know I have a lot of work to do. When it gets hard I always remember His life was so much harder. When I go through the trials I can stand shoulder to shoulder with Him and say I am his disciple and I know He is my/our Savior. 


Love all of you so much!
hasta luego próximo semana.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Christian! It's been fun doing these. Not sure if you'll see my comment but maybe your Dad can pass it along.

    That's crazy that you were cut by that person. I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Did you tell him you lift? Maybe if he knew you lift he wouldn't have tried to attack you... In all seriousness though, it's very mature and kind-hearted of you to put yourself in the shoes of someone who just cut you and sympathize with them. I think it's telling of the type of pure person you are.

    Anyway, miss ya dude! Stay safe down there.

    ReplyDelete