Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Week 1: First P-Day

Guatemala City Temple

SO, on my way to Los Angeles, the lady at airport security in Las Vegas stopped me because of the camera in my carry on - no big deal. 

The delay in Vegas was quiet I had no one there in Las Vegas at the gate but me. BUT, on the plane to LA I sat behind Meisha Tate the former-UFC champ. I considered a sleeper-hold or arm-bar but thought better of it; instead I just helped her with her bag when we landed. She said I was sweet. 

Once in LA I met two other missionaries, Elder Reyes and Elder Livingston. Elder Reyes is from Texas and is going to San Salvador and Belize. Elder Livingston is from San Diego and is going to San Salvador East Mission. We talked maybe ten minutes when other missionaries started appearing all around us! Soon we had about 20 missionaries in the gate area all from different places and only one actually going to my mission in Honduras. His name is Elder Staehli and he plays baseball too. If you can believe it, I struck him out when we played against Dixie my sophomore year in a tournament he still remembers! lol. 

Still, Staehli isn't my companion. That would be Elder Meeks, and he´s from Preston, Idaho, just North of Logan. He says, he played football and basketball, and is really chill. He makes me make all the decisions: where we go, what we teach, etc.... and it kind of irritates me because I want some input on lessons from him too! It doesn't help that he REALLY doesn´t know a lick of Spanish. (I at least know burrito and taco and enchilada: dad edit)


 My knowledge grows every day of the language and it´s still a struggle to teach in practice lessons. The first two lessons I had a script to use and it sucked because I didn't feel the spirit at all. Then we had a devotional by MTC President Morris about the Holy Ghost and he told the story of Enoch just opening his mouth and trusting that the spirit would inspire him what to say. So, that´s what I did, and lo and behold! I got some simple words but I strung them together and I had a good, lesson! I felt the spirit. 

Also, I´m the district Leader for the next 3 weeks of Distictó Lucas. It took me by surprise. By surprise, I mean a lot. President Morris called me into a meeting of other missionaries where he gave them the call and I was called. The spirit literally gets me through the day. I find myself touching the croix d'occitane Dad gave me from his mission when I miss home and I just get a feeling that I´m doing what is right then I get on until the next meal. 

So far it´s been okay, I grow every day and I love Elder Soloman he´s a big Polynesian going to the same mission as Elder Meek (I think it´s Guatemala City South.) He´s such a big relief to the district and he gets me through the day. He´s got a full ride to ASU as a center when he gets back. I am definitely watching them when i get off my mission. 

Still, the responsibility of saying how the district is doing in Spanish worries me every Sunday at my District Leader meetings. To add to the pressure, every missionary must prepare a talk the first week and I could just randomly get called to give a talk (once again, only in Spanish) good news is it´s only 5 minutes. As for Rules, Lights out is 10:30 p.m. and there is no being late to class after meals! Any Elder who is late is required to sing "As Sisters in Zion" to the Latinos in Spanish. 

My teachers are really nice, but sadly, no pictures can be sent to you guys while I´m in the CCM. But I can still get them thankfully. You can still send me pictures of my bestest friend Enzo and you guys and I´ll be more than content. 

Can´t wait to see Kollin, I met the other American missionaries that have been here 3 weeks and I honestly can´t wait to slam him with some knowledge and to help him the way they helped me. I broke down on Monday and started crying when we started explaining our goodbyes with our families, I´m crying right now as I type this. I told them about what you said Dad about working hard. I also told them about what Mom said, how these two years will go by fast if I´m doing what I am called to do and that´s preach the gospel. 

I was able to go to the Guatemala City temple, I towered over the changing stalls and the seats were a little small but it was an experience I won´t forget (it was my first foreign temple!) The temple is closed for deep cleaning till Kollin gets here (the lucky guy) Every P-day they try to send the American missionaries to the temple. 

All I can say is: yeah, I miss home; but, I know I´m here not only for me but for the people of Honduras. It´s hard. There are a lot of rules and we often just feel trapped in a room; but, I ponder my purpose as a missionary and I feel calm and know this is right!

Love,
Elder Christian Roberts



P.S. I know it´s short but I kind of ran out of time the Spanish keyboard looks similar but certain keys are moved slightly so my bad typing skills became even worse Love you guys a lot type you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment