Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 10: Fruits of our Labor - Just not the fruit we planned!

Nothing like a good, hard, Honduran rain to get everything soaked

So, I´ll start this letter off with why this week was difficult. I finally have enough knowledge in Spanish that I know what my companion is saying now. I´m getting used to his Spanish. In our lessons what was once a cool moment of ¨my companion is helping me!¨ has turned to, ¨why are you doing this?¨ He used to say, ¨what my companion is trying to say..¨ and then explain my mediocre Spanish. But now from what I understand, it is him basically telling the person new and complex doctrine that he uses in every lesson. When I speak, (which is a very small amount) I do it when I feel a prompting of the Spirit to say something that might help this person learn and grow. So, now a lot has changed, I´m trying to speed up my learning of Spanish, basically pushing the language at a faster pace by studying and asking a lot more questions etc. Hopefully we will be able teach future lessons without having this annoying road block. I´m a little frustrated, but I know my companion is just doing what he knows and feels is right.  

This past week we had a very small number of new investigators, which I know happens, but we fell way below our goal at 3, which is pretty bad. But we did have time for a lot of service, and talked to a lot of less actives members. 

The best part of the week was on Sunday when it was all coming to an end. My companion and I were feeling down about not meeting our goal... while we were at church 11 of our less actives -that we had been talking to- walked into the chapel about a minute before sacrament started!! Yay! Fruits had grown from our words, and these people decided to come to church! This made the entire week better. When we had visited with them these people had conveyed that going to church wasn´t that important to them. Something changed after, and they came! I don`t know what. I`m bummed, because we didn`t get a chance to talk to them because we were in charge of all the Young Men that have just now started attending church regularly.  We taught them about the priesthood, preparing for a mission and the blessings we have received.

This was a week of hard work spent doing service for some people. The people call me, basically, "a man with no eyes or ears," essentially "deaf and blind" when I´m doing service; because I just keep working when the other people take a break. I´m proud to say Elder Roberts and Elder Giraldo are still working (though at times Elder Giraldo stops, but that's not important). These people see that we care enough and want to help them. We willingly go through bodily strain for their benefit; we help finish the project with them for no pay. We are just hoping they show gratitude by making it to church the next Sunday. 

This week I also had my first time proselyting in the pouring Honduran rain, which was an experience. My shoes  don`t have the best traction in mud so it was a lot of slipping and sliding, and wet chairs and bags. But is was fun! I was wet, cold and ready for bed by the end of the day... but Elder Giraldo had forgotten his agenda at our last appointment! So we had to go back another 20 minutes in the rain. It wasn`t too bad, but I got pretty sick. It was rough because we had service on our agenda the next day. We got up, pushed through, and got to work. We moved some adobe bricks (dried mud bricks), and helped a member build a little casita. When we finished we took a well needed nap after 4 hours service. It helped, I feel better and hope we can stay rain free for a little bit.

We are opening a new neighborhood in our area, called Cementario. It is next to a cemetery. No missionaries have proselyted there yet, we are hoping to find some new people to teach the gospel to. 

I hope everyone is doing good, and I pray to have more success in the coming week. 

Hasta Luego 

No comments:

Post a Comment